Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Commandment...

What rolls through your mind when you think of the word "Commandment?" Most of us, including myself conjure up negative thoughts in regard to this word.

I would never say to my husband, or an employee, or even my children "I command you to ________ _________ (you fill in the blank(s)). Out of respect for one another we do not "Lord" over people in this way.

As I read the following Scripture passage:
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
John 13:34

When I read this this evening I began to contemplate this passage in a way that I really never have before. We are given so many lessons through out the Bible that teach us about righteousness, fairness, wisdom, and love. Obviously, back then, as well as today, each of us want to be respected, to be loved purely and to be loved deeply.

We don't really see Christ command that many things through out the Bible. But here in this passage we are given a command. We are not being told to think about behaving this way, or to consider another way to live. We are being commanded! This commandment is THE ANSWER to all man kind! Mystery solved.

So why is it that we do not talk about this COMMANDMENT? Is it because of the fact that it has the word "commandment" in it? Do we allow the word to be taken out of context, thereby becoming an offensive word? Thereby not teaching the value of this commandment? Oh gosh, if we could just live into this commandment can you imagine what a beautiful planet of love we would have! But because we find the word offensive we pretend, or think that we have other options on how to treat another? I am guilty myself, and that is the struggle. That is why we have such misunderstanding running amok in our society. If we as a human race were to accept this commandment without question, can you imagine how our world would be? How our lives would be?

Let each of us meditate on the fact that this is honestly not an option, but a commandment. Let us allow the transformative Holy Spirit cause each of us to live into this commandment and change our little corner of the world bit by bit.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Great insight! Pretty cool that I read this today because I really tried to apply this command while instructing Isabella at the park this afternoon.

She was purposefully irritating one of her friends by taking a stick away from him that he had picked up off the ground (aren't they silly!). This was making him very angry; to the point that it brought him to tears.

As I was talking with her I tried to teach her this command in the most simplest words I could think of. I tried explaining to her that Jesus has blessed her with beautiful friends that he loves very much which means we too need to love and respect them. As I made her apologize to Asher I couldn't help but think man this is hard!! How do I help her understand that God commands us to love one another and that we are sinning against Him and the person we offended when we disobey this command.

At the same time I wondered if I sounded silly to the other mommy's around me...but I truly believe if I help her see her heart issues in relationship with Christ that it will inevitably change her behavior. I am still so new at all of this and learning as I go but am always looking for creative ways to instruct my little strong willed one...this parenting thing is tough!! :)

I love how the Lord puts others in our paths and speaks to us through each other. Thanks for sharing....I needed a little reminder and encouragement!

Love ya,
Mel

Life Purpose Coaching with Kathryn Bonner

This is the blog of Kathryn Bonner - Speaker/

Success Coach/Author of "Confessions of a Pastor's Wife" & the CD of "In The Potter's Hands" a guided Biblical Meditation. http://www.kathrynbonner.com/ and http://www.awakeningslifecoaching.com/